Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Family and Friends!
This week has definitely been another crazy one. We are still meeting with the Anghels, and had a few meetings with them and Fanel and now Maruis' father-in-law Vigorol or something that starts with a V. We were discussing about Sabbath-Day observance and him and Mihai the older had a problem with worshipping on Sunday. We showed them Acts 20:7 and he absolutely loved it. He said it was beautiful and invited us over to his house to teach him more. Mihai the older and Florica are heading to Ireland very soon, they might have actually left yesterday or today. We are hoping to get a hold of the missioanries in Limerick so we can keep them in contact with missionaries while they are away. Now the only Anghels left at home are Pupa, Zorinca, and their kids, and Elizabeth and David (Mihai and Florica's kids). I don't know if I told you, but in Latin pronunciation, David is pronounced DA-VEED, as in 'ought' and 'tree'. And we are still teaching Fanel and his family. Stephen from the charity shop is also making good progress. We have a great friendship with him, and he asks us questions and concerns he has, and he shares what he remembers from primary school.
We haven't been able to meet John MacCormack for a week and a half, but he has been really busy with his working schedule because he drives lauries. He still wants to bring his daughter to church and keep learning. We also met with Blair and Yolande, and Blair has recommitted to read the scriptures and pray. He will hopefully make it to church in 3 or 4 weeks. Brother McGuinness is also making great progress! He is going to go over to Brother MacDonald's 2 or 3 times a week, and he is becoming happier and more physically active. We are seeing him change as we meet with him every week, and we hope indexing with Brother MacDonald, praying and keeping the Lord's commitments we give to him, and meeting with us every week will help him to give up smoking and return to Church.
I exchanged companions with the Zone Leaders and ended up leading in Cumbernauld again with Elder Andrus this time. It was great, and I learned from him to always be kind and look for the prepared people. I also had one of the scariest experiences of my mission.
You know those huge fireworks that explode in the sky? Well, I was walking with Elder Andrus to Millcroft to teach the Romanians, and suddenly 15 feet above our head a firework exploded. It was so scary! Suddenly the ground and air shook, and I turn around and see sparks flying everywhere. It was so terrifying and cool. It was quite a nerve-wracking experience.
The reason there were fireworks was because it was Guy Fox day, where they celebrate the death of a terrorist, or something to that effect. Everywhere in fields and on random grass stretches in neighborhoods, people (usually Neds) make huge bonfires and burn all kinds of stuff in it and set off fireworks. We always go out on holidays though, 'cause missionaries don't have holidays. :) Except for Christmas. On Christmas, we will go to members houses and share messages and just hang out and have meals and such. This is what Elder Boehme has told me.
We are getting along pretty nicely, and are still trying to get better at the schedule. It is difficult with the Romanians, but we will try to leave earlier this week.
Last night I also had a great testimony builder that the Lord prepares His children to receive the Restored Gospel, and I know He plans everything perfectly. As Elder Boehme and I were in Condorrat, we decided to visit our friend Stephen and see what was up with him that Sunday, because he didn't show up to Church. On the way, we met a woman named Mary who was walking her dog Skye, and we started talking to her about the First Vision and the Restoration of the Church of Jesus Christ on the Earth. She shared a special experience about how she knew God was there, and wanted her son to believe in God as well, but would leave the choice up to him. We talked about how, just how Joseph Smith prayed to Heavenly Father and received an answer, so can we, and the choice doesn't have to be made alone in blind faith. I have learned this week that faith is like a seed - we don't know if it will produce anything good. Many people say we cannot know the things we know, but I have felt and seen the seed of faith I planted in my heart long ago grow and produce great fruit and knowledge which is sweet and dear to my heart. We also shared with her the promise in Moroni 10:3-5 and it was a moment full of the Spirit of God. We are going to meet Mary and her two sons, Ryan and Deckland, on Friday at 4:00. What a great and spiritually uplifiting experience it was for us both.
The weather is also getting very interesting here! It is ''spitting'' today, where it is kind of raining, but it is very lightly. It's not quite like walking in a cloud though. It's also getting close to snow! I CAN'T WAIT 'TIL SNOW! How is the weather at home? Sister Foote's son, Wayne, gave Elder Boehme and I a red telephone box blank page journal. He said he wanted to give us a present, just in case one or both of us left before Christmas. It melted my heart, just like the pictures of Rusty and Karli I have on my wall at the moment. :) Cumbernauld is great! There is going to be some marvellous work done soon here.
Thank you for your prayers and your letters, they are such a significant help to me. I love you all and can't wait to hear more from you! I hope everything goes well, and I want you to know that I pray for you often. My family, my friends in the mission field and at home, and my ward family. I know the Church is true, and I am pretty much past the point of being able to deny it. I know that Jesus Christ is my Savior, and that He cares for all His children, and has a plan for each of them. I know that the gospel brings happiness to families. I know the little things, like reading scriptures every day with family and individually and praying with family and individually can bring us much joy and hope in this life. I testify of these things in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Love,
Elder Devin Jay Hunter.

P.S. Kirk out!
P.P.S. Thank you for missionary work at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment