Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Well, I have learned some very important lessons this week. It has been really crazy like usual, but I'll try to get the important bits.

So first of all, this week was MOVES CALL. And.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................I'm staying another 6 weeks in Cumbernauld with Elder Christensen! I am so glad that I get the opportunity to serve in Cumbernauld for half a year. 6 months out! It's going by too fast to believe.

Stephen came to Church for the second week in a row! WOOHOO! We showed him the baptismal font, and he is still progressing towards becoming ready to be baptized. He has proven his determination and faithfulness to the Lord through his commitment to learn and to come to Church, and I have faith that he can be prepared with the help of the Lord to be baptized on February 22.

Stewart and Teresa weren't able to make it because they went to a restaurant named the Red Onion for her birthday and Matthew and Aaron are in Perth while they are who knows where. But we taught Matthew the Restoration before he left, and he is so ready to be baptized and move forward in the Gospel.

Joe is also still on the radar. He started drinking again for a night, but after much persistence and exhortation, he handed the drinks to us and allowed us to throw them away. We left him at his flat watching the Restoration DVD like we always seem to do, and we are going to visit him again tonight.

Betty is also doing well. She has been reading the Book of Mormon, and she is a bit confused judging by our last phone call, but she felt the Spirit really strong when we met her on Tuesday. She is excited to learn more, and we have left her after every lesson in tears (or very close). I know that the Lord has blessed us with finding her and that He has granted unto her the blessings of the Spirit and learning the Gospel. I cannot wait to meet her again tomorrow!

We also ran into... Nick! He was looking a bit run down from smoking, and he told us that both Mary (the lady with the dog from earlier) and him and Lee had been told some nasty stuff about the Church from Craig! Who is Mary's partner and Nick's brother. Which confirms the feelings that Elder Boehme and I had. We asked if we could come by and resolve the misunderstanding between us, but we haven't heard back from him yet. We can only pray!

I have also learned a lot about pride. With moves call coming up, it was easy to say ''Oh, Elder Christensen, you're going to be a leader'' and things like that. President Brown told us in his weekly email that missionaries shouldn't tell these kinds of things to each other. I am heeding this counsel now. I also learned that certain counsels should be left to those that are in authority, such as the Bishop for personal matters and parents for their own. I have gained a new respect for Ammon when he was boasting and Aaron rebuked him in Alma 26:10. Ammon replies in 26:11 with the words: ''I do not boast in my own strength, nor in my own wisdom; but behold, my joy is full, yea, my heart is brim with joy, and I will rejoice in my God.'' Humility is something I am currently striving for.

I have seen the miracles of the Lord many times this week. Last night, as we were riding our bikes through Abronhill, a small piece of glass pierced Elder Christensen's back tire, and we commenced in the long trek back. Much to our surprise and delight, we met a man named Collin Smith who was kind enough to take us back to his flat and fix the tire. We had a long and interesting conversation about religion with him, and we gave him a Book of Mormon to read. The Lord truly leads us to the prepared people through, by and large, our afflictions. In another instance yesterday, I was SUPER hungry at lunch, and I had to make another egg and salsa and ham and woodsmoke brown sauce, tortilla burrito. We got out a little bit late, and we hurried on our way to get work done. When we met Nick yesterday, it was right as he was coming out of his close, and we realized after that if I had not taken the time to eat, we would not have met Nick! Not that I should go overtime, that is for sure not good, but the Lord moves in mysterious ways. (and so has my stomach)

I think that is all for this week. I appreciate all the emails that I got this week and the letter! There is so much potential in Cumbernauld, and I can't wait to get somebody through to baptism! Stay strong in the Gospel, because it is true. I know it is true, and I know the Lord watches over His children.

Love,
Elder Devin Jay Hunter
P.S. Kirk out!
P.P.S. Collin Smith apparently was a famous artist, so he gave me a sketch he was doing. Anybody know Collin Smith?
P.P.P.S. Still trying to work through our candy stash... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment